Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Spiritual Parenting - 3

THE CARE FOR THE SAINTS

This topic and burden has been on my heart for a long time, and is a theme lately in my learning process with the Lord. After all, another term for spiritual parenting - the nurturing, teaching, and equipping of spiritual children - is indeed, "The care for the saints". What do good parents do, but "care" for their children? We as spiritual parents also must "care for" the saints the Lord has entrusted to our care.

As a father of three children in everyday life, my job is to love on them, nurture them, teach them, affirm them, lead and guide them - all regardless of their stage in growth, regardless of their receptivity, regardless of their faithfulness and willingness. I could have the worst kids in the world and I would still be expected to love and care for them through it all - because I am their dad. It is my job, my calling, and my God-given responsibility - they were born into my family, they share my last name, and they depend on me for everything - so I MUST care for them.

So with spiritual children - those in my spiritual household MUST be cared for. This is the spirit in which I think Jesus told Peter so intensely to "Feed my sheep". We also remember that when Jesus looked at the multitudes, he had compassion on them because they were "like sheep without a shepherd." Those within the household of God - especially the younger ones, desperately need spiritual care. They will - more often than not - die without it. They need teaching, they need affirmation and love, and they need equipping and preparation.

All that to get to what is more specifically on my heart... I think that many of us have adopted an approach - an approach that I don't think was meant for basic spiritual parenting - and used it unwittingly in parenting our spiritual children. That approach is one of making disciples - setting a bar of discipleship, watching for faithfulness, and working with the ones who show themselves faithful (FAT - faithful, available, and teachable). After all, Jesus did this - he called many to follow Him, but only a few were willing to pay the price. Those who weren't willing went on their way - and those who were willing (who were FAT) got His time and attention. Although I don't think this same approach was meant for the care of saints by spiritual "moms and dads" within the context of a local "vibrant family of Jesus."

I think a different mindset must be adapted when dealing with the care of the saints the Lord has set under our care in our churches. For the sake of differentiating terms, I will call one "The care for the saints", and I will call the other, "The making of disciples". Now I know that those concepts are interconnected and perhaps not meant to be separated - but regardless I believe two different approaches just might apply with these two different phases of spiritual growth and maturity.

(continued in a day or two...)

No comments: